10.04.2010

Starburst mirror envy



We have lived here for over four years now. Many of our walls look like we just moved in. This one is pretty representative of most of the house :)

IMG_4912

That, combined with my love for starburst mirrors, helped to get this project going. However, I have spent way too much time trying to mimic those that I see. I have been thinking, and thinking, and thinking about how I can get metal strips to use. Then, like she always does, Miss MustardSeed created one in brilliant fashion. I then realized, “DUH!”, it doesn’t have to be metal.
So, I started with this….
IMG_4883

(One package of bamboo kitchen skewers, one candle mirror, and one jar of stain we already had.)

Did a little bit of this….

IMG_4884

Fought off the thieving kitten because of this…..
 IMG_4894
*The jury is still out on whether or not kitten spit helps or hinders stain from sticking to bamboo skewers*
Wished I had thought to bring the mineral spirits up because of this….

IMG_4891

(Yes, I know. Painted nails and DIY do not go hand in hand. I’ve quit biting my nails, for the 100000th time, and painting them helps me leave them alone.. until it starts to chip…which is it now.. AH)

I let it all soak up and dry like so….

IMG_4889

And then came the tricky part: assembly. I started with Gorilla Glue. While it is AHmazing stuff. It takes too long to dry for something like this. So, I used hot glue.

IMG_4910

With no planning whatsoever, I started gluing.

 IMG_4905


Because I used wood stain instead of paint, each one it a bit different in color. Luckily, that’s what I wanted :)

IMG_4899

The photos don’t really do it justice. Once Dustin gets home, we are going to find something to attach to the back to make it more secure and attach a hanger to that.

A few weeks ago, I saw some similar to this at an antique store… for $25. Although that was a good price, my grand total for this is a WHOLE lot better :)

This is a great way to fill a wall with one piece. This started with a 5 inch mirror and is now 28 inches.
I have enough materials to make one more. I think I might paint the skewers silver this time to mimic all those metal ones I’ve drooled over for so long. I’m also going to change up the pattern to make it different from this one.

I know, I know… the anticipation…. :)

25 comments:

  1. Very cool! Yes, I've been thinking of ways I could make a mirror once I run out of the wooden spindles I have and I have and idea up my sleeve. Your turned out great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute!!! I love it! Where are you hanging it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an awesome idea! I might have to try that for some empty wall space at my house...my bedroom walls are sadly lacking in decor.

    And congrats on kicking the nail biting habit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! great job shannon! I love the way your mirror turned out. Can't wait to see the next one.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's great! I've been wanting to make one for a long time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks really good,, and will look great on one of those empty walls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just saw this on Catch as Catch Can link party, you did an awesome job on this. I love star burst mirrors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for linking up to catch-as-catch-can!
    gail
    hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool! I have a feeling everyone will be making one of these sweet things shortly. :) Yours turned out awesome.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this.

    I'll be featuring this over at Life As Lori. If you would like to grab my I was featured button please do so!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job- even if it did wreak some havoc on the nails:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea! I know how much these mirrors cost, so you saved a ton of money.

    For another one, you could try getting some of those tiny mirrors at the craft store and see if you could glue them on the sticks. If people wanted to try that and the bamboo sticks were too little, I bet some flatten dowels or something would work well too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also have plenty of empty walls! I saw that circular mirror at the candle making section at Michael's for $2.99 full price! Yours turned out awesome!! Im gonna have to make me one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you know sunscreen gets stain/poly off of your skin?! It really works!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails