2.26.2010

Vacation Rocks

 

When Dustin and I were dating, he once told me about a cool thing that his exgirfriend's parents did.  Every time they went on a trip, they got a rock and wrote the place and year on it. Their house had rocks from everywhere. We thought that is was a cool idea so, once we got married, we started our collection. 

We've not been many places in our 3.5 years of marriage, so I thought I'd show them all....

 
From the beach at Hilton Head, South Carolina 
2006
Our honeymoon



From our trip to Mt St Helens
2006
The Army Reserve trip that made us move our wedding date up 2 months


When I came to visit Seattle, Washington because of the Army trip. 
2006
We were supposed to get married on July 7th. The Army booked his flight on July 8th. 
(We got married on May 27th instead!)

 
The pink heart-shaped rock from Washington, DC
2007
When Dustin was brave and went with me and 2 busloads of high school juniors on our fieldtrip.



California
2007
Trip to see my brother and sister in law



California
2007
The same trip from above.  Yeah, sometimes we get more than one (from different towns though).

And, last but not least.... getting the rock for our last trip. This trip rocked for Dustin, but not so much for me... Note the great lengths we go through to get the PERFECT rock. It was COLD.


Brasstown, North Carolina
2010

If you paid attention to the dates, we have had quite a lapse in trips :) We are actually about to go on a family vacation with Dustin's family in a few weeks, so we'll have an addition coming soon. We like to travel, but we are just as content to stay home and prop our feet on the coffee table with some books and the animals.

We do a lot of cutesy things around here. It's true... things that made me cringe and gag when I saw other people doing them. :) This is one of those things that I am so glad we started doing. It is a free way to document our trips together and a neat way to remember. It is going to be so much fun when we're in our 90s looking back on the trips we've taken.



Editorial correction: Dustin read this last night and told me that it wasn't his exgirlfriend's parents... it was friends of her parents who did this... details, details... anyway, I'm glad that he noticed it so we could start it!

30 comments:

  1. My husband thinks I'm crazy when I bring rocks home from vacation. Maybe he won't think it's so crazy if I start writing on them like this. Nah, he'll still think I'm crazy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a cute idea and a great way to remember all your trips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! How fun. Not that I go anywhere, but if I start now, I will be able to add one rock this summer, maybe two! How cute these would be in a apothecary jar! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that tradition! Can't wait to do it for my family! Thanks for linking to Creative Cats this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great tradition! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I love it! Thanks for sharing ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very unique and romantic idea... love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this idea!! I'm totally bummed we're already 3 years into our marriage but it's never too late to start, right??

    Also love that you have Mt. Saint Helens and Seattle in your collection. I grew up in Seattle and that's where the hubs and I headed for our honeymoon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's such a great idea!! We live in Germany and travel frequently .... this is a great alternative to collecting random nick-nacks! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea. Very cute. I could see how your collection could grow, and grow. Fun idea. My name is Shannon too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea! I wish I'd read this 10 years ago before I got married. :) Hmm, maybe we can start now and try to revisit some of the places we've been to grab a rock.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute idea!
    God's blessings,
    Sarah :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome Idea! I'm totally going to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a unique way to remember travels. We have been so many places and plan to keep going - now I'll have to add rocks to my list of souvenirs - best of all, they're FREE! great post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun and inexpensive way to remember your trips! Great idea! : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had to fight my husband when we went on car trips.. I brought home one "boulder" on each trip.. took two of us to pick it up..lol But I made such a nice 'rock garden' out back....
    Love rocks
    Sandy

    http://madebystephie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am featuring this on my blog tomorrow! Thanks for linking up! Come grab my featured button!

    Sumo
    http://sumossweetstuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool! I have done this a few times, but not on a regular basis! :)
    great idea.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  19. fun. Do you keep them all together or scatter them?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Definitely doing this once we get married! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is such a neat idea! I just did a post about vacation collections...and I am definitely adding your idea!

    http://craftingreallyawesomefreethings.blogspot.com/2010/03/craft-21-travel-collections.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous!!! I love the simplicity of this. We too collect rocks from our outings and vacations, but have never labeled them. We're going to have to start! Fantastic. Thanks for sharing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really love this idea and can see my kids really getting into it. I'm featuring you at tomorrow's Penny Pinching Party at The Thrifty Home. Stop by and grab an "I Was Featured" button if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a simple but sweet idea. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this idea!! Now our 10 year old can justify his rock collection! However his collection seems to based on shape rather than location but now we have direction. Thank you!

    It was a pleasure meeting you over the weekend! Hopefully we will get to see you again at another Shop and Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love love love this idea....... ~ kim

    ReplyDelete
  27. what a simple, sweet idea - priceless treasures! i've included the link in my weekly roundup of inspiration, blogged here:
    http://www.camilledawn.com/2010/06/tuesday-tumblr-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. I linked your blog to mine... I just posted on my blog "vacation traditions" ideas and had to add yours... hope that's okay! ~ kim

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails