3.27.2010

Goodwill Tealight Holder Redo

A few weeks ago, I went on a Shop and Hop trip in Indy with some great gals. One of my purchases was this gem for $1.99.

Yes, the coffee table that I flubbed up with crackle is my new work station :) I can't mess it up any worse than it already is!

I liked this candle holder because it isn't huge. And, it is wood. It is beat up a bit, but it is still solid. It is for tea lights and at the time of purchase, I remembered that 4 years ago, when we got married, we got a huge box of Yankee tea lights that were crammed in a closet.

I envisioned it looking like a piece of driftwood so I first gave it a good base coat of Behr Gobi Desert from my fantastic swag bag from the trip. 

I did this one night in the bonus room/office/room above the garage, so the lighting isn't great in some of the pics.

I gave it two fairly light coats. Mainly because I'm impatient and wanted it to dry quickly! :) Then, I drug out my three bottles of paint and started dry brushing. 

I ended up only dry brushing on the darkest brown I have. At first, I was just barely putting any on it. Then, I realized that it needed it to be a bit heavier or it was just going to look dirty. I like how the wood grain is just starting showing through. 


Then, once I had it dry brushed to my liking, I went in search of that 'huge box of tea lights". It was a huge box. Key word here: was. But apparently I have been burning them here and there over the past four years and forgot.... there were two left, ha!

I'm not sure where this is going to go, but I am happy with the final look and it is neutral enough that is can go in several places around the house. It is another of those pieces that the camera can't really make it look as good as it is. This isn't the best picture, but the colors are richer in real life.

Not bad for $1.99!

19 comments:

  1. wow! that turned out great! It looks to me like it came out just as you described. :)
    I'm taking a break.. time to get back to the garage!
    take care!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new look you have given this candle holder. I think the look of driftwood was the PERFECT idea for your piece and you pulled it off flawlessly. :)

    Cheers~
    e

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice. I love that driftwood look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turned out great! Followed from Make It 4 Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look, and what a fantastic addition to a summery beachy mantle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute. I love the weathered look! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great project! way to see the potential in an something someone else gave away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute - it really looks like driftwood!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! you've got a great eye to spot a piece like that and see such wonderful potential. nice transformation :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really nice! What an awesome paint technique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So great! Love the dry brush technique!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The paint looks really cool! What a great find. Thanks for linking at LSL:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooh, love it!! I have a beach themed half-bath. Something like this would look awesome in it. I'll have to keep my eye out at Goodwill!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found one!!! Mine only has three spots, but it'll do. I'll post on my blog when I finish and link back to ya.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would like to appreciate your work and would like to tell to my friends.for more details something like visit tealight holders wholesale get more informations.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks good. Perfect size with four spots on it.
    Here you can take a look at the floating & other candles which you can buy at wholesale price.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails