5.26.2010

In a (freezer) jam


Apparently my kitchen makes strawberries photograph yellow. Even if they are yellow... I am convinced that strawberries contain the nectar from the gods. 

This batch is particularly that way because they came from Mom's little strawberry patch that is only 2 or 3 years old.

I made freezer jam from them. I can sit and eat this with a spoon. I do. I'm not ashamed. This, and marshmallow cream. (I got busted last week though... Dustin walked in and I had a spoon in my mouth and too much marshmallow cream to just swallow and hide my guilt... he tried it later in secret and admitted I had found a little spoonful of heaven)


Like most of my kitchen projects- this is super easy. Buy some of this stuff... and follow the directions. 

I cut the tops and bad spots off the berries. I'm weird about this part. I'm the same way with meat. I'm very picky about what is "good" and what isn't. I'm sure that I throw away parts that are perfectly fine, parts that I've been eating my whole life, but still... I"m not a picky eater, but I'm picky about food that might be on its last leg or parts that "look" different than the rest. I'm judgmental with my food that way.


Then, mash them up. Mom uses a potato masher. I don't own one. So, I used a small glass. Yes, I licked the outside of the glass when I was done, thankyouverymuch. I promise... I'm a clean cook :)

Mix the packet with a cup and a half of sugar. (The recipe says Splenda or sugar.... come on, we eat marshmallow cream out of a jar.... we use sugar)

Then, add 4 cups of crushed strawberries, mix for 3 minutes, and ladle into a container. Let it sit for 30 minutes and then put in the freezer for later. You can freeze it for a year- it doesn't last that long here.

Not a good pic, but DEFINITELY worth the 15 minutes it takes to make!

Tomorrow, we will be landscaping outside. This isn't project ADD :). We are landscaping around a garden that was started last year when we lost our son. Tomorrow is his birthday anniversary. And, our wedding anniversary. We're spending the day in Lane's garden and mulching around our grapes. Then, we're heading out for a sky lantern release with our families to honor our little guy after the sun goes down.There is more about that at my other blog. Hopefully, I have some great pics to post on Friday of Lane's little flower garden and the sky lanterns.

1 comment:

  1. My husband will eat the marshmallow fluff like that too. He also likes frozen Whip Cream with a spoon. I will have to look into getting some of the freezer jam mix. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails